24/7 HVAC & Plumbing Services

Check for Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

This winter, always make sure that the carbon monoxide is tested in your home. Sometimes unsafe gas appliances can produce the highly poisonous gas know as carbon monoxide. It can cause serious or long-term health effects. By having the home tested for carbon monoxide, you can help to avoid potential dangerous issues. It is recommended to have your home tested and inspected to make sure the home is as safe as it can be. We can help to test for carbon monoxide and advise you on a detector that would be best suited for your home.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance that is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and liquid petroleum gas. This can occur when a gas appliance has been fitted incorrectly. It can also occur if the appliance has been repaired badly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can occur if chimneys, flues, or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, and petrol can also produced carbon monoxide. If carbon monoxide is present, you could run the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. This occurs even if you breathe in very small amounts of the gas. As you breathe in carbon monoxide, it can get into your bloodstream and prevent red blood cells from carrying oxygen. This is hazardous to the health for you and your family.

Signs there might be Carbon Monoxide in your home

If you notice that are beginning to get sick, take not of what symptoms you have. Some of the biggest warning signs that there might be a carbon monoxide leak are headaches, dizziness, nausea, or even a loss of consciousness. Carbon monoxide symptoms are often similar to those of the flu or viral infections. If you notice that the symptoms only occur when you are in the home, but disappear once you leave, this could be carbon monoxide. Make sure to have your home tested and treated as soon as you can. Always make sure to have your gas appliances inspected by a professional. This can help to decrease the chance of a serious issue from happening from carbon monoxide.

How to help avoid Carbon Monoxide in your home

If you have faulty appliances in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poising. The best thing to do to help avoid this is to have the gas appliances checked to ensure they are working properly. Carbon monoxide has no taste, smell, or color when it is present in the air. It is recommended that you invest in at least one carbon monoxide alarm in your home. While the alarm can alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, it is not a substitute for having a gas safety check. A carbon monoxide alarm can look similar to a smoke alarm and is easy to follow based on the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure to follow the instructions on how to set, test, and replace the alarm. This can help for you family to be safe during the winter by decreasing the chance of carbon monoxide.