Carbon Monoxide Detection is important

One of the most important things to do this winter is to invest in a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous. This is because you cannot see it, taste it, or smell it. Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide. It could even cause death or serious long-term health problems. There are some symptoms to look for if you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Any symptoms of headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, or a loss of consciousness could be signs. While carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to the flu or food poisoning, it is always best to go to a doctor to see what the issue may be. An indication that there may be an issue with carbon monoxide is if these symptoms only occur when you are at home and disappear once you leave the home. If you have a faulty appliance in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure to have the appliances inspected by a professional. This can help to decrease the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in small amounts of the gas. When you breathe in the carbon monoxide, it will get into the blood stream. This can prevent the red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, the body tissue and cells can die. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous substance that is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and liquid petroleum gas. This can happen when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted. It can also occur when it has been poorly repaired or maintained.

What if you experience the symptoms?

If you start to experience signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure to get some fresh air immediately. If you suspect it is in your home, leave the house and see a doctor. This can help to confirm or deny that you have a slight issue with carbon monoxide. Also, do not assume that the gas appliances are safe. It is recommended to get a professional to inspect it. We can come and look at the appliances to ensure they are operating properly. This can help prevent yourself and those around you from serious illness because of exposure to carbon monoxide.

Importance of having a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Since carbon monoxide can go undetected because of the lack of taste, smell, and color it has, it is important to get a detector. It is recommended to get an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed in your home. This can help to alert you when carbon monoxide is in your home. It can also let you be aware of the issue, incase you are sleeping. A carbon monoxide alarm will look similar to a smoke detector and is easy to install. Make sure to follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions on how to set, test, and replace the alarm. It is also recommended you place one near the bedroom, and another in a common room such as the living room. This can help keep you and your family safe.