Having the filter in your furnace replaced regularly is important. The average manufacturer’s guideline is every 90 days, or three months. This is a fairly good recommendation for most filter systems and homes, but in reality there are a lot of factors that can make a big difference in how often it is truly necessary to change them. The main focus should be placed on your family’s health and the efficiency of your furnace.
The recommendation for when furnace filters should be changed is based on:
- How many family members are in your household
- Whether you have pets
- Whether anyone in your home smokes
- Whether anyone in your home has allergies or asthma
Why Change Your Furnace Filter?
- Improves efficiency. Everyone wants their furnace to run efficiently in order to keep your house warm and lower heating bills. Clean filters will help one achieve this. A sign that it is time to change the furnace filters is when you see dust piling up on the furniture surfaces. You may even notice dust particles floating in the air around the vents when the system is running, or a musty smell of dirt and dust. If the furnace turning on and off more often than normal, it could mean that the filter is clogged and not allowing the unit to function properly. Filters should actually be pulled out at least once a month and checked. Look for signs of discoloration or layers of dust and dirt. You will eventually notice a regular pattern of how often they need changing. One definite time to change the furnace filters is at the start of the heating season.
- Improves indoor air quality. Homes where the residents suffer from breathing problems will need their furnace filters changed more often. Those with asthma, allergy sufferers, or COPD patients in the house will notice these family members having clogged nasal passages when the filters are dirty. It is essential to change the filters more often in these situations. Homes with pets will also realize their filters need more frequent changing. Pet dander can get stuck within the dirty furnace filter and end up being recycled throughout the house. This can lead to cold like symptoms for those living in the home.
Call Controlled Air Today for Filter Replacement in Farmington, MN
Changing your filter regularly will result in a cleaner, more cost effective home for you and your family. If you can't remember when the last time was that you replaced your furnace filter, make sure to contact us and we can inspect it for you. If it is dirty and needs replacement, we can provide fast, expert maintenance service.