Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large amounts. You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide gas, which makes it even more dangerous. Carbon monoxide can infiltrate your home without you ever knowing until symptoms strike. The longer and more significant a person’s exposure to carbon monoxide, the more severe the symptoms can become, ultimately leading to death. A malfunctioning or inappropriately used heating, cooking, or ventilation system in the home can allow leakage of carbon monoxide gas into the air, leaving you breathing toxic gas without knowing it.

Carbon monoxide can come from a number of sources within the home:

  • Furnace systems and chimneys with leaks
  • Kerosene heaters
  • Wood-burning stoves and fireplaces
  • Generators
  • Appliances fueled by gasoline
  • Fireplaces that aren’t vented
  • Cigarette and pipe smoke

When carbon monoxide gas contaminates the air, you breathe in more carbon monoxide than oxygen. Once it enters the body, carbon monoxide gets into the blood, where it takes the place of oxygen; this happens most notably in vital organs like the brain and heart, which then become oxygen-deprived. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include nausea, fatigue, confusion, headaches, dizziness, chest tightness, or shortness of breath.

A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed near all bedrooms.

Also remember to have the HVAC system inspected on a regular basis. By doing so, you can help to have an issue spotted before it causes further damage and a costly repair bill. If you notice anything out of the norm, make sure to contact us to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.