Cleaning the ductwork is important for the overall efficiency and performance of your HVAC system. If you are not sure how often to have it cleaned, make sure to contact us. However, you should definitely do it if you are in one of the following situations:
- There is visible mold growth inside ducts or other HVAC components.
- There are excessive amounts of dust or dirt. This could happen after having remodeling work done
- There are insects or other small animals calling your air ducts their home. If this is the case, you may have to call an exterminator as well.
When the ductwork is cleaned, you should see a significant improvement in air flow and air quality. This will also help to reduce the monthly energy bills. It is recommended to clean them every three to five years to maximize your HVAC system’s life.
When the ductwork is cleaned, several things are taken into consideration.
- Open access ports or doors to allow the entire system to be cleaned and inspected.
- Inspect the system before cleaning to be sure that there are no asbestos-containing materials in the HVAC system. If asbestos is present, a special cleaning must be done.
- Use HEPA (high-efficiency particle air) vacuuming equipment if the vacuum exhausts inside the home. Otherwise, use equipment that exhausts outside of the home.
- Protect carpet and furnishing during cleaning.
- Use well-controlled brushing of duct surfaces in conjunction with contact vacuum cleaning.
- Use only soft-bristled brushes for fiberglass duct board and sheet metal ducts internally lined with fiberglass.
- Take care to protect ductwork, including sealing and re-insulating any access holes so they are airtight.
- Follow NADCA’s standards for air duct cleaning and NAIMA’s recommended practice for ducts containing fiberglass or constructed of fiberglass duct board.
By having the ductwork cleaned, you can improve the air quality in your home. This will help it to be more comfortable and the air will be easier to breathe. If you notice an issue with your HVAC system, ductwork, or filter, make sure to contact us as soon as possible. This can help reduce further problems that could result in a costly repair bill.